Monday, June 22, 2009

Using LinkedIn During Your Job Search

During my last 5 months of networking, I've met several of you who are either new to LinkedIn or don't have an account yet (Shame on you!). I can't stress how valuable this resource has been to me in my job search.

I want to find a job in the Des Moines area, so I became a member of all groups in this area that interested me. Once a month, I post the same job announcement to all job tabs within each group: "Talented, mid-level professional seeking marketing, project/product support or event planning position in the Des Moines area. Speaks German and Spanish." It felt a little redundant at first, but my message is being seen by hundreds of people. I've received information about job opportunities that aren't being published on job boards. I've had people in the recruiting industry reach out to see how they could help. I'm learning about networking events that aren't published in social media that I am then posting on this blog to share with others. I've had numerous meetings over coffee getting to know people. LinkedIn is great; if you know how to use it properly.

Below are a few links on how to use LinkedIn during your job search.

Best Practices for a LinkedIn Job Search - Konstantin Guericke (via Dave Taylor)
How Do I Use LinkedIn to Find a Job? - Dave Taylor
How to Use LinkedIn to Find a New Position - Eric Mariacher
How to Find a Job Using LinkedIn - Liz Ryan (via Dave Taylor)
LinkedIn and Your Job Search - Alison Doyle
Searching the Hidden Job Market for Opportunities - Debra Feldman
Create More Value with LinkedIn - Darlene McDaniel

No comments:

Post a Comment