Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Speed Networking

I attended my first speed networking event last night at Staybridge Suites in West Des Moines. I didn't know what to expect as I'd never done anything like this before. Cheryl Hayes, Regional Sales Director along with Tim Bianci, Owner of Trilogy Solutions put together a great event.

Attendees were able to tour one of the hotel rooms and your $5 entry got you beer, wine and a filling spread of appetizers. Before we got started, Tim told us the "rules of engagement", basically how to get the most out of our networking experience. Each person had 3 minutes to talk about themselves and what they do, then it was the other person's turn. Then Cheryl blew a whistle (we need to work out a better system for signaling when it is time to switch!) and then the person you were talking to shifted over a chair and you had someone new to talk to.

Because of our short time together, Tim made it clear that we should talk about what we do, but then focus on who we are as a person. We're more likely to do business with people we connect with on some level. Then, the next day, take a couple minutes and see if you want to take the next step to further your relationship with those you met; make an appointment to go grab a coffee and have a one-on-one conversation that lasts more than 6 minutes without the interruption of a whistle.

I was a little disappointed that there weren't other unemployed people in the room. This would have been a great opportunity to meet 25 people. No, I didn't get a job offer, but I met people who now know that I'm looking and they know what I'm looking for.

It was a great first event for the Staybridge and I hope that more are organized in the future.

I'd better see all of you tonight at Pink Slip Networking! www.pinkslipnetworking.com

4 comments:

  1. Do you exchange cards so that you can follow-up? Or do folks take notes?

    I know that "the experts" advise participating in every single networking event in the known universe. However, at some point there is a limit to how much time one has and a prioritization exercise has to take place. We (all of us unemployed people) need to come up with a ranking system for how effective various networking events are with respect to helping us find a job.

    "I was a little disappointed that there weren't other unemployed people in the room. " This actually seems ideal for you (or any of us that are unemployed). As the only person in the mix looking for a job you are easy to remember and get all the employment leads (both related and unrelated I suppose?). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Mike. We'll all be given a list of eachother's contact information by the organizer, but a few of us did exchange cards. I understand what you mean about not being able to go to every networking event out there. For me, I don't go to career/job fairs because they're a waste of time, but the event last night was right up my alley. Some people are just starting their job search, so IWD's resume writing events are very helpful.

    I DID stand out at "the unemployed" person. I would have stood out more if I had worn my "got work?" apparel. That would have been overkill :) Maybe we'll get the chance to meet tonight at Pink Slip Networking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzann it was nice to meet you tonight at the Pink Slip Networking event. Hope yoou got something out of it you could use. I picked up a couple tips that were new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was nice meeting you and your wife last night as well! I'm curious - what were the tips that were new to you? How are you going to implement them in your job search?

    ReplyDelete