Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Net2Work

If you weren't at the Net2Work on Monday at the Botanical Center, here's what I got out of the event:

From 8:30-9:45am there was an informal networking session with over a dozen business professionals with expertise in the career search process including employer representatives, recruiters and career counselors. I wasn't able to make it to this session. Did any of you find it useful? I talked to a gentleman today at Project Lemon-aid who said he went to the morning session and he said he was able to speak with a representative from Marsh. He had applied for a job there and said it was extremely beneficial to meet the hiring manager in an informal setting.

Then came the traditional 30-second introductions at our table from 10:00-10:15am. I always try to sit at a table where I don't know anyone so I can meet as many new people as possible...tough to do when I've been going to these events for a while :) 3 of the 7 others at my table I knew already, but made great connections with the rest of the group.

From 10:15-11:00am, the below panel spoke about interviewing expectations. They answered 3 prepared questions they had received before the event: how to prepare for the interview; how to shine during the interview; and how to follow up after the interview. The panel included:

Kaci Rother, Des Moines University
Kris Benge, Nationwide
Joey Leonhardt, Marsh
Sue Cheek, Mid American Energy
Kerry Funke, Nationwide
Kendra Sones, Wells Fargo

After the panelists answered the prepared questions, they opened it up to Q&A which could have gone on all morning and part of me wish it had...What if the event started an hour earlier and we had more time to engage with the panelists? Or what if the "facilitated table discussion" from 11am-noon was shortened up a bit to allow more time for the "meat & potatoes" of the presentation? After the panel, there was facilitated table discussion during which career search professionals at each table continued the discussion and provided expertise and advice. This doesn't need to be an hour long in my opinion.

What did I take away from Net2Work? Even though I've been to quite a few of these events, I still manage to take away some great information.

When you're "reinventing" yourself, i.e. applying/interviewing for jobs that aren't necessarily anything you've ever done before, be passionate about the company and bring that passion to your resume, cover letter and interview. Be clear that this is an area that you would like to transition into and make sure they understand what skills you bring to the table...

This is something that I'm experiencing firsthand: During the past 8 months, the jobs I'm applying for have changed a bit. At first, I was straight international sales/marketing support and now with my experience using social media and managing online communities, I've started applying for jobs that require this skill set. Do I have much experience doing this sort of thing? NO, but I've gotten interviews because I can demonstrate that I'm learning and growing as much as I can in this field and I'm passionate about making this transition.

When I do interview for jobs with this "new, self-taught" experience, I am very well prepared to answer questions regarding my ability to do the job. Always anticipate questions and have answers prepared.

One of the panelists mentioned that we should give ourselves a pat on the back for just making it to the interview phase. I wholeheartedly believe this. Give yourself a break sometimes! You may be one of 300 applicants for a position. If you get an interview, give yourself a pat on the back. This is an extremely competitive environment right now. Don't beat yourself up so much; celebrate and recognize the successes.

The panelists addressed how we should follow-up after an interview. They said that when we walk away from an interview, both parties should have a clear understanding of what the timeline is for the decision and how we should follow-up with them. I have no problem with this. What I do have a problem with is when they NEVER follow-up with candidates when they say they will. I've had first and second interviews with organizations and I have NEVER heard anything back from them. And I'm talking after 2-3 months...I followed their process of how to follow-up and I hear nothing back. This is what I have a problem with. If I didn't get the job, just tell me...

Something dawned on me a couple weeks ago. Another person in transition and I wanted to go to go to Net2Work and then grab lunch afterwards; we're actually encouraged to do so by the facilitators of Net2Work in order to continue the networking process. I don't know about you, but I'd rather save my money instead of going out to lunch...so my friend and I decided to pack a lunch and ended up driving down to the Chinese monument/display on the river and having a great picnic. Honestly, the only reason I leave Net2Work when I do is because I'm starving. Who would be interested in packing a lunch and picnicking after the next Net2Work? I'm game. If the weather's bad, we might be able to just stay in the room and have an indoor picnic!

1 comment: