Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Why Are We Putting All of Our Eggs in One Basket?

Why are we doing this to ourselves?

Most of you reading this post had a full-time job with an employer and that was your only source of income. You lost your job for whatever reason and now you are again looking for a full-time job which will be your only source of income.

What happened when we lost our jobs? We lost our only source of income...which put us in a really awkward, chaotic, anxious situation. Instead of stopping to reflect on what happened to us, so we never put ourselves in this situation again, we jump right back into the game of finding a full-time job.

I challenge you to think about what your lives would be like if you were to create multiple sources of income. Wouldn't your livelihoods be less affected if one of those income streams were to dry up? Instead of having all of your eggs in one basket, spread them around.

I've been thinking about this idea a lot lately. Someone got it stuck in my head...

Wondering what you could possibly do for these jobs? Get creative. If time and money weren't an issue, what would you do? (I stole this phrase from Tim Bianci) Chances are, it's something you could turn into an income stream; if not a river, at least a stream.

What are your thoughts on this concept? I've been laid off twice this year and it didn't feel too good. I'm thinking about taking control of my income streams instead of allowing someone else to have control over my livelihood...

2 comments:

  1. My initial thought is, 'health insurance?' That's certainly a big reason why people (including myself) are eager to land a full-time job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laid off last year, but landed a new job in a couple months. At the time I had a similar thought. Wouldn't it be nice to be more self sufficient? But how, doing what, what will I do for insurance and security? It is the uncertainty that keeps us tethered to our full time jobs.

    ReplyDelete