Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Time Shift

Does it seem like it takes a lot longer for things to happen now that you're unemployed? When I was working, we would schedule in-house meetings, conversations over coffee, project deadlines not for this week, but for next week, or the week after that. Right now, I'm talking with companies about job opportunities and I'm told that "we really want to move fast on this". What does that mean? In my "unemployed mind" I'm expecting a call with some information the next day. Fast in their minds is a couple of weeks (or months). I'm finding it difficult to understand this time shift now that I'm on the unemployed side.

The employed are busier than the unemployed because they have a job, right? I don't know about anybody else, but I'm busy too - looking for a JOB! Every day I spend at least a couple of hours looking for a job. By the end of this week, I will have spent 15 hours networking and interviewing. Blogging takes time too. Imagine if we had kids!!! We're all busy with one thing or another. But I still find time to make decisions and get things done.

Are any of you experiencing this strange time shift phenomenon? Or is it just me?

2 comments:

  1. Its not just you Suzanne I am so frustrated sometimes by the painfully slow progression of time I experience in dealing with these circumstances. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with the fact there are so many of us out there now. Of course it is easy to subscribe sinister motives to the companies (they are trolling for more applicants) but I'm sure the shear number of responses they receive to an advertising of a job opening creates it's own problems too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I think it's our position that's causing us to notice how slowly things get done. I've been told that I'm one of 200 applicants for two of the jobs I've applied for. So, I understand that companies have a lot of applicants to weed through - and then the interview process - then the call backs - then the applicant has to accept or make a counter offer. All of this takes time. Just wish it would happen faster :)

    ReplyDelete